Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Food and Money

In my work with people who struggle with emotional overeating I am often struck by the financial struggles they tell me about. The words they use to describe their eating, such as “out-of-control”, “never enough”, “I over did it” and “I have to cutback” reflect the very same sentiments they use to describe their money woes. They say things like “I spent too much”, “I don’t earn enough,”  “I don’t have enough,” “I couldn’t stop myself,” “I really wanted it” and “I can’t get enough.”  Why? In my experience people’s relationships with food and money mirror each other. People eat for emotional reasons and they spend for emotional reasons.  If food is used to assuage a poor self-image buying material items can do the same thing. What is your relationship with money? Does it resemble your relationship with food? The good news as you heal your emotional relationship with food may find that your money issues are healing as well.

Until next time,
Dr. Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment